Funeral Director Information and Checklist
To be eligible to apply for licensure as a funeral director, you must meet the following requirements:
- Be 18 or older.
- Possess an Associate in Arts or Associate in Science degree, or equivalent.
- Have committed no acts or crimes constituting grounds for denial of licensure under Section 480 of the Business and Professions Code.
To apply for licensure as a funeral director, submit the following:
- A completed application form and a filing fee of $100
Applicants applying to take the licensing examination may choose to submit the licensing fee at the same time as the examination fee, or wait until their examination results have been received to pay the $200.00 licensing fee.
- Official Transcripts sent directly from your educational institution(s).
The Cemetery and Funeral Bureau requires official transcripts. "Official Transcripts" are transcripts sent directly from the educational institution, in a sealed envelope, to the Cemetery and Funeral Bureau at 1625 North Market Blvd., Suite S-208, Sacramento, CA 95834.
- Copy of request for Live Scan service form verifying that fingerprints have been scanned and all applicable fees have been paid.
Exceptions to this requirement:
- You have an active license as a Cemetery Manager, Crematory Manager, Embalmer, Funeral Director or an Apprentice Embalmer Certificate.
- You have submitted Live Scan as an officer, owner or board trustee of a Funeral Establishment.
- You have submitted Live Scan as an officer or owner of a Crematory or Cemetery after November 1, 2002.
- You applied for licensure after November 1, 2002 and hold a current Cemetery Salesperson, Cremated Remains Disposer or a Cemetery Broker License.
The license term is one year, the renewal fee is $200, and the late fee is $100.
For additional information about licensure as a funeral director, call the Bureau's Licensing Unit at (916) 574-7870.