Information and Instructions for Certificate of Registration as an Apprentice Embalmer
To be eligible for registration as an apprentice embalmer, you must meet the following requirements:
- Be 18 or older.
- Be a high school graduate (or equivalent).
- Have committed no acts or crimes constituting grounds for denial of licensure under Section 480 of the Business and Professions Code.
- Provide one of the following:
(1) proof showing completion of a high school course;
(2) evidence that you have been licensed and have practiced as an embalmer for a minimum of three years within the seven years preceding your application in any other state or country and that the license has never been suspended or revoked for unethical conduct; or
(3) graduation from a mortuary science program approved by the bureau and accredited by the American Board of Funeral Service Education, or its equivalent, as determined by the bureau, and furnished official transcripts from that program or equivalent.
APPRENTICE EMBALMER APPLICATION CHECKLIST
- Have you completed and signed your application for submission and enclosed the $60.00 application fee?
- Has the designated managing funeral director and the supervising embalmer signed the application?
- If applicable, have you requested your "official transcripts" from the high school you attended?
- Have you included your completed "Request for Live Scan Service" form or provided information about when your fingerprints were previously submitted to the Bureau (see Section E of the application)?
- Does the licensed funeral establishment have a current "Approval to Train an Apprentice Embalmer" form on file?
"Official Transcripts" are transcripts sent directly from the educational institution, in a sealed envelope, to the Cemetery and Funeral Bureau at 1625 North Market Blvd., Suite S-208, Sacramento, CA 95834.
To request an application, or for more information about registration as an apprentice embalmer, call the Bureau's Licensing Division at (916) 574-7870.