2009 Summary of Legislation- Effective January 1, 2010*
- AB 124 Galgiani (Chapter 83, Statutes OF 2009 – Effective August 6, 2009)
- Court appointment of a temporary cemetery manager - Allows a court to appoint a temporary licensed cemetery manager, for a term of six months, in place of a manager who has ceased to perform his or her duties due to a lapse, suspension, surrender, abandonment, or revocation of his or her license. (Adds Business and Professions Code Section 9723.3).
- SB 819 Yee (Chapter 308, Statutes OF 2009)
- Clarification of existing law - Cleanup of Business and Professions Code Sections 27 (California Public Records Act), 144 (fingerprints), 7616 (funeral establishment licensure), and 7629 (funeral establishment/funeral director name), as well as Health and Safety Code Section 8778.5 (cemetery special care trust).
- SB 821 Committee On Business And Professions (Chapter 307, Statutes OF 2009)
- National Embalmer Examination - Allows the Bureau to accept the National Board Examination administered by the International Conference of Funeral Service Examining Boards. (Amends Business and Professions Code Sections 7643, 7646, 7647, 7662, and 7729).
- Education and Transcripts - Changes "embalming school" to "mortuary science program" and requires applicants to submit official transcripts reflecting completion of degree. (Amends Business and Professions Code Sections 7606, 7616, 7641, 7643, 7662, 7665, 7666, 7671, and 7725.5).
*Unless otherwise noted